The Institute of Disaster Management and Vulnerability Studies (IDMVS), University of Dhaka, and the ISPRS Working Group on Environment and Health welcome you to participate at the International Symposium on Disaster, Environment and Health with the theme “Health at risk in a world of degraded environment and recurrent disasters”.
Environment is one of the key elements to support people to live a healthy life. A safe environment can reduce human vulnerabilities to health risk i.e. ensuring air quality, chemical safety, better housing; reducing noise pollution, social inequalities; resource distribution, transportation, water, and sanitation, etc. It is imperative for us to focus on each and every component of environment which may induce disasters and adverse impact on public health.
The primary objectives of this symposium are but not limited to:
- Sharing best practices and innovations related environment, disaster and health
- Creating a platform for relevant stakeholders and merge gaps among academician, policymakers, and practitioners
- Leveraging scientific and technical knowledge to reduce environmental and disaster-induced health risk
This symposium will focus on both Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) with a special focus on SDGs Goal No. 3 which states ensuring healthy lives and promoting well-being for all at all ages. Through this symposium, participants will also be able to comprehend the gaps in achieving targets of both the frameworks, SFDRR and SGDs; and to provide input in implementing priorities of action in relation to the environment, disaster, and health. This symposium being first of its kind in Bangladesh, therefore, will help to identify and address disaster-related health risks around the world particularly in Bangladesh to coordinate efforts in addressing environment, disasters and health risk in a holistic, comprehensive and integrated manner.
The symposium invites papers under but is not limited to the following themes:
- Geospatial Health: Geospatial methods; Machine Learning; Big Data analysis; Spatial Econometrics; Mobility Analytics; Spatial analytics and spatial statistics inferences; Geospatial social network analysis; Role of ICT in addressing health issues
- Disaster, Emergency and Health: Health issues during disasters; Adverse impact of Climate change on health; Epidemic outbreak, Health-related interventions during disasters; Humanitarian crisis and health
- Environmental Degradation and Health: Air, Water, Soil Pollution and impact on health, Exposure assessment, Built environment and health; Occupational health and safety
- Public Health: Population health; Social determinants of health; Public Health Surveillance; Healthcare planning; Gender and health; Health promotion and wellness; Socio-economic conditions and community health; Health disparities; Best practices for environmental health concerns; Disability, disaster and health; Mental health
- Environmental Medicine: Infectious and vector-borne diseases; Cardio-vascular diseases; Chronic diseases; Communicable diseases; Epigenetic
Program & Activities
- Keynote and plenary sessions
- Paper presentation
- Panel discussion
|Abstract submission ends||20 September 2019|
|Acceptance of Abstract||30 September 2019|
|Early Bird Registration Ends||30 September 2019|
|Pre Symposium briefing||10 November 2019|
|Regular Registration Ends||10 November 2019|
|Symposium||18-20 December 2019|