Posting Title: Geographic Information Assistant, G6
Job Code Title: GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION ASSISTANT
Department/ Office: Office of Legal Affairs
Duty Station: NEW YORK
Job Opening number: 18-IST-OLA-98089-R-NEW YORK (O)
Staffing Exercise ID: N/A
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational Setting and Reporting
These positions are located in the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Office of Legal Affairs, United Nations. The incumbents will report to the Senior Geographic Information Systems Officer.
Within the limits of delegated authority, the Geographic Information Assistant will be responsible for the following duties: Geographic information systems services support
- Undertake the installation, configuration, testing and maintenance of geographic information management software on the server and on the clients’ workstations, as well as optimization of the availability and responsiveness of various geo-databases, file and web applications;
- Populate geo-databases and implement appropriate data security and access controls;
- Assist in the timely provision of geographic information to clients;
- Provide technical support including for GIS and other software level troubleshooting, and peripheral equipment such as large format printers and scanners in cooperation with the UN Help Desk and technical support from outside vendors;
- Perform tasks related to equipment replacement, equipment installation/de-installation, creating standard images, LAN connection both for the equipment and users, returns to stock, site surveys, equipment inventory etc.
- Assist in the development of applications and web related templates/services