University of Portsmouth
Are you calm under pressure, capable of lead others in the face of a crisis, and ready for an interesting, rewarding career where you can make a difference? If that sounds like you, our MSc Crisis and Disaster Management degree course could be just what you’re looking for.
On this course, you’ll learn about topics such as hazards, vulnerability and the risk of disaster, crisis management, and humanitarian responses, all underpinned by the practical aspects of an emergency situation, including planning and logistics.
You’ll graduate with the skills you need for a successful career in the emergency planning and disaster management sector, either in the UK or overseas. You’ll also get transferable skills in project planning, data reviewing, and communication, putting you in a strong position to pursue a career in other industries.
On this course, you’ll:
- Learn new skills including disaster risk reduction techniques, and mapping using GIS, GPS, and remote sensing technologies
- Be supported by expert staff and researchers who are active in the field, with extensive industrial and consultancy experience working for government agencies, businesses and NGOs
- Have the opportunity to complete a work placement with an emergency planning, crisis management or disaster response organization and complete a personal project based on your work experience
- Take part in study visits and field training with UK emergency services, the military, and NGOs
- Gain transferable skills such as project planning, data reviewing, report writing, teamwork and presentation
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you’ll have the knowledge and practical skills needed for a career in the emergency planning, crisis management or disaster response sectors, both in the UK and overseas. Opportunities exist within sectors including:
- Humanitarian agencies and NGOs
- Emergency management
- Emergency logistics and contingency planning
- Flood management
- Military-civilian emergency liaisons
- (Re)insurance and risk management
- Utility companies
- Civil defence
- Disaster relief
The MSc Crisis and Disaster Management degree course also features research and analytical components, ideal if you are interested in pursuing further research at PhD level.
We’ll give you as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
For details please visit the program webpage.