Reporting to the Head of DCPRR, the Regional Disaster Management delegate/ Operations Coordinator will be responsible for the monitoring of the IFRC disaster/emergency response operations, in close liaison with country and Country Cluster offices and relevant units of the Secretariat, and to ensure that the IFRC disaster/crisis response is timely and adequate throughout the region. The duties of this position will also include the creation of an effective monitoring system, and participating in capacity-building activities in Disaster Response Preparedness during periods when the unit is not actively engaged in disaster response. In coordination with other Regional Disaster Management Delegates/ Operations Coordinators/Managers, the position will provide day to day technical and strategic guidance on operations design, implementation and ensure full compliances of IFRC system and procedures. Depending on the need and situation, Head of DCPRR may assign the position to focus on a particular geographical cluster.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Support and strengthen the Federation’s work to National Societies through Country Cluster Support teams and Country Offices in promoting a holistic and integrated approach to disaster management in line with the Federation’s frameworks, strategies and approaches for community safety and resilience,
2. Monitor ongoing, developing and potential future disasters and provide regular feedback on emerging trends to the Head of Disaster and Crisis Unit.
3. Supporting the provision of technical support to national societies through the Country Cluster Support teams and Country Offices consistently analysis and strengthen their Disaster Management capacity in line with Federation-wide and, regional policies and strategies.
4. Promote integrated planning with the OD, Health and other programmes
5. In coordination with County Clusters and Country Offices support National Societies in carrying out assessments, development of Emergency Appeals and/or DREF request in line with the IFRC Standard Operational Procedures and standards and accountability framework.
6. In coordination with the Head of DCPRR manage the Emergency Appeal and DREF request processes at the Regional level, making recommendations as to scope and content of appeals / plans of action in line with standard operating procedures, IFRC and standards and accountability mechanisms.
7. Support effective use of Federation regional expertise and capacities in disaster response such as RDRTs.
8. Ensure support to Operation managers, Country Cluster /Country Offices on programmatic aspects of the transition from relief to recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction.
9. Organize in collaboration with Country Cluster /country Offices trainings, aiming at fast and effective mobilization of Federation response system and mechanism.
10. Maintain rosters of DR personnel, including RDRT and other disaster response intervention teams in the Africa region.